[sAc] UFC 2009:Undisputed - Clan/CAF/Community Forums©
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AM Fighter Interview: Anderson Silva

Go down

AM Fighter Interview: Anderson Silva Empty AM Fighter Interview: Anderson Silva

Post  [sAc]-MrFantastic June 9th 2009, 4:13 pm

AM Fighter Interview: Anderson Silva

AM Fighter Interview: Anderson Silva Anderson%20silva%20small%20pic

Anderson "The Spider" Silva is the current reigning UFC Middleweight champion, having successfully defended his belt four times while being a perfect 8-0 since entering the UFC, including a win in the Light Heavyweight division. Silva is widely considered one of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the world; he's consistenly listed as one of the top three fighters in ranked lists. Having bested top fighters such as Rich Franklin, Nate Marquardt and Dan Henderson, Silva appears to be unstoppable: he's definitely a force to be reckoned with. Silva’s Muay Thai skills are second to none -- he has one of the most devastating Thai clinches in the UFC -- and he also boasts a black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. These skills have made Silva a dangerous opponent in the Octagon, both standing up and on the ground.

At UFC 97: Redemption in Montreal on April 18, Anderson Silva will seek to defend his UFC Middleweight championship in Montreal against No. 1 contender Thales Leites, who hopes to continue his winning ways in the UFC by giving Silva his first UFC loss.

The UFC
What do you think of UFC Welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre?

Georges St-Pierre is a good fighter who is proving his place in MMA with every fight.

What do you think of a possible dream fight between you and Georges St-Pierre?

I’m always training to fight the best fighters in the world, and if the UFC wants me to fight Georges St-Pierre, then I will fight him. We will just have to wait and see if a fight with St-Pierre would take place in the future.

Dan Henderson and Nate Marquardt have both said that their goal is to fight you again for the Middleweight championship. Do rematches with either of them interest you?

I am always training to fight the best fighters in the world; if Dana White wants a rematch between me and Dan Henderson or Nate Marquardt, then I will fight them. I don’t pick my opponents.

Assuming you defeat Thales Leites, who do you think most deserves to fight you next for the title?

There are many tough fighters in my weight class; they all pose their difficulties and are all a threat in the Octagon, but like I said, I am ready to fight the best. I am ready to fight whoever the UFC puts in front of me.

Will you be helping your friend Lyoto Machida train for his upcoming title fight against Rashad Evans?

Lyoto Machida lives far from where I live in Brazil, but we try to train together whenever possible. I also think that Machida is such a good fighter that he will dominate the UFC Light Heavyweight division for some time.

You have completely dominated the Middleweight division and you have one win in the Light Heavyweight division -- would you consider jumping to the incredibly stacked Light Heavyweight division?

If Dana White wants me to fight in the Light Heavyweight division, then I will be ready, but I have no interest in fighting for the UFC Light Heavyweight title -- that belt belongs to Lyoto.

Is there a fighter in the UFC whom you would like to fight in any division?

Not in particular, but I would like to fight my clone one day.

Besides yourself, who do you think are the best fighters in the UFC?

There are many great fighters in the UFC; some of my favorites are Rodrigo Nogueira, Lyoto Machida and BJ Penn, but aside from these guys, the UFC has many great fighters in every division.

Check out what Anderson Silva has to say about his training and retirement...

Training regimen

How would you add more size to your body if you did move up a division?

I don’t have a problem putting on or cutting weight. I would adapt my training if I’m training for a Light Heavyweight fight by using different techniques and by wearing a weight vest to get used to the extra fighting-weight.

Which fighting styles do you focus on the most when training for an upcoming fight, and why?

Muay Thai is my main discipline and the fighting style that I focus on the most; it is the fighting style that got me to where I am today.

When training for an upcoming fight, what do you do for strength conditioning?

I work out with my conditioning coach, Rogerio Camoes, he knows me very well and he knows how to motivate me to train harder.

How long do you normally train in a day?

I train twice every day; the hours vary depending on what I am doing, but I love being in the gym training and my day revolves around my training.

How long a break do you take between fights before getting back to your training?

I rarely take a break -- I am always training. After a fight I will try to take some time off, but other than that, I am constantly training and working out.

Do you have any tips for our readers on how to maximize their training?

Keep on training; it’s the only way to improve. There are many things people can do to train their bodies and there is always room for improvement when training.

You have spoken about your retirement on multiple occasions; will that still be the case after your contract is up with the UFC?

We will have to wait and see what happens after I finish my contracted fights with the UFC, afterward I will decide whether I wish to retire or not.

Do you have any ideas for if and when you do eventually retire?

I know that I want to be very relaxed when I retire, and I want to make sure I keep my belt and retire a champion. Maybe in the future I could open up a school, who knows.

What are your plans for the future?

I plan to keep defending my belt in the UFC’s Middleweight division. After that, we will have to wait and see what happens.
[sAc]-MrFantastic
[sAc]-MrFantastic
Pound-for-Pound Champion / Hall of Famer
Pound-for-Pound Champion / Hall of Famer

http://specialassaultcommand.com/

Back to top Go down