[sAc] UFC 2009:Undisputed - Clan/CAF/Community Forums©
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lyoto Machida Interview

Go down

Lyoto Machida Interview Empty Lyoto Machida Interview

Post  [sAc]-MrFantastic June 9th 2009, 3:03 pm

Lyoto Machida Interview

Lyoto Machida Interview Lyotomachida

Lyoto “The Dragon” Machida, hailing from Brazil, is a karate expert that has been a force to be reckoned with in the UFC due to his exceptional striking skills and overall elusive fighting style. Having gone six fights in the UFC without losing, Machida looks to extend his winning ways at UFC 98, where he will take on current Light Heavyweight champion “Suga” Rashad Evans. Having garnered wins against former undefeated fighter Thiago Silva, former UFC champions Tito Ortiz and Rich Franklin, and top pound-for-pound fighter and current Lightweight champion BJ Penn, Machida has solidified himself as the contender next in line to fight for the Light Heavyweight title.

At UFC 98, Machida will look to go 7-0 in the octagon and become the next Light Heavyweight champion of the UFC. Machida brings a vast array of skills to the octagon and is sure to be Rashad Evans' toughest competitor to date.

The UFC

What made you want to get into the sport of fighting?

My father is a Japanese Shotokan karate Master, so I have been training karate with my family since I was three years old. I got my black belt in karate at 13, and got introduced to judo and sumo shortly after.

In an interview with "Tatame Magazine" you revealed that you drink your urine.Can you explain this please?

I learned about this method through my father, and I believe it has strengthened my immune system. I cannot recommend this to anyone because I am not a doctor, but I do believe in this method and its effectiveness.

Have you done anything differently to prepare for your fight against UFC Light Heavyweight champ Rashad Evans?

I have created a strategy according to Evans’ game, and have adapted my own game to fit this strategy.

You are 14-0 in MMA and 6-0 in the UFC. Does this add pressure when you go into a fight?

There is always some pressure to keep a perfect record, but I don’t think about it, otherwise it becomes your priority and the pressure grows to try and maintain the record.

You have been known to train with Anderson Silva and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira; what have you learned from them?

Anderson and Rodrigo are top fighters, it’s great to train with them when possible because they set the parameter.

On another note, what do you think of your good friend Anderson Silva, one of the top pound-for-pound fighters in the world, having another fight at 205 pounds? Would you fight him?

Anderson is a great fighter and a great athlete. I think he would do well against anyone in any weight class. He is my friend and we train together when possible, and for that reason I would not fight Anderson.

Many years ago you fought your brother in a professional fight. What was that like? What was going through your head?

My brother was always my toughest opponent at karate competitions, so we were used to competing against each other.

Prior to your knockout win over Thiago Silva, there was widespread criticism of your fighting style. People were saying you weren’t exciting enough and that you were too boring. What do you think about this?

Entertaining my fans is very important to me, and I have been working hard to make sure I give a great performance for my next fight. Precision and timing are very important to me, and I think of it as if only having a few bullets to take down a tiger, where every bullet would be crucial to my success.

Is there a fighter in the UFC that you would like to fight in any division?

I would be happy to fight anyone, including Quinton “Rampage” Jackson who seems to be next in line if I am victorious against Rashad Evans.

Alongside Anderson Silva, you are also listed as one of the top pound-for-pound fighters in the world. Who do you think is one of the best fighter’s in the UFC?

Anderson Silva, Georges Saint-Pierre and Rodrigo Nogueira are some of the top fighters in the UFC among many other great fighters. The UFC has many of the toughest fighters around.

Check out what Lyoto Machida had to say about his training...

Training

Besides karate, which other fighting styles do you focus on the most when training for an upcoming fight?

My main focus is karate, which is my strength. I am also a jiujitsu black belt, and I train my ground skills regularly, and I spar to simulate a fight.

What does your week consist of when training?

In the mornings at around 5:30 a.m., I train karate with my family. In the afternoons I alter between training jiujitsu and sparring. After training I rest, then go on to strength and conditioning.

What do you do to train for endurance and cardio?

My regular training alone gives me an intense cardio workout as well.

How long do you normally train in a day?

I train two or three times a day for about two hours each session.

How long a break would you take between fights before getting back to your training?

It really depends on how long I have until my next fight. A regular training camp for a fight will last around 12 weeks, but other than that I’m always training to maintain my conditioning and stay in shape.

Do you have any tips for our readers on how to maximize their training?

Be persistent and consistent.

What kind of diet are you on when training for a fight?

I eat very healthy all the time, low on fats and sweets and no fried foods.

Is there anything that you would like to say in closing?

I would like to thank my sponsors Bad Boy, Lugz and Bony Acai, and of course all of my fans that have been supporting me throughout my career. I will also make sure everyone enjoys my title fight at UFC 98.
[sAc]-MrFantastic
[sAc]-MrFantastic
Pound-for-Pound Champion / Hall of Famer
Pound-for-Pound Champion / Hall of Famer

http://specialassaultcommand.com/

Back to top Go down